Re: Debian export question: JAPAN and the world

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:41:02PM +0900, Satoshi Kawase (Fukuoka) wrote:
> I work for a major Japanese electronics company and we would like include
> Debian into one of our new products.
>
> The trouble we are facing is that because Japan is one of the countries in
> the wassenaar arrangement exports of cryptographic software count as
> "munitions" and hence must be passed through the Japanese version of the BXA
> (Bureau of Industry and Security).

This may be true, but as I understand it, the Wassenaar arrangement
doesn't specifically cover software.  Note that the Debian non-US
server (which was intended to circumvent the US controls) is in
a Wassenaar arrangement country.  It was merely the additional
US restrictions that caused a problem.

dave...