Re: sql-ledger may belong in non-free

On Mon, Apr 04, 2005 at 03:35:10AM -0500, Warren Turkal wrote:
> I was reading through the Terms & Conditions[1] (henceforth Terms page)
> on the and I am not sure that it conforms to the DFSG, specifically
> section 3. If you look at the Terms page, you will notice that the
> section on "Extending and Re-branding SQL-Ledger" indicates that the
> GPL only allow the derivative work to be a "Larger Work" and that you
> cannot remove the SQL-Ledger logo as a result.

That's a bit confusing.  I don't know whether that's because they're
confused or if it's deliberate.

You can't remove other people's copyright notices from a GPLed work,
so where the trademarked name occurs as a part of a copyright notice,
the GPL says you can't remove it.  However, the GPL doesn't say any such
thing about the source code referred to by those notices.

Also, just because a sentence has the word "copyright" and "notice"
in it doesn't mean that the sentence is a copyright notice (otherwise
this sentence would be a copyright notice).

--
Raul