Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005, Måns Rullgård wrote:
> You are obviously convinced that using a command line interface
> can't be protected by copyright. Why, then, are you so persistent in
> insisting that other interfaces somehow are awarded such protection?

Whether or not a specific interface is covered by copyright is
necessarily jurisdictionally dependent.

A conservative tack is to assume that if there's any creative
component at all, then there is a possibility of copyright. [Even that
may not go far enough, as some things that are devoid of creativity
may have the protection of copyright in specific localities, cf. the
database directive.]

If you wish to say that there is no copyright protection for a
specific instance in a specific jurisdiction, that may indeed be the
case,[1] but it's quite irresponsible to claim that it is so for all
jurisdictions.

Don Armstrong

1: If it is so, I'd strongly suggest finding relevant case law or
talking to a lawyer before using this to take actions which would be
infringing if a copyright actually did exist.
--
Quite the contrary; they *love* collateral damage. If they can make
you miserable enough, maybe you'll stop using email entirely. Once