Re: Is phpGrabComics legal?

Scripsit Nick Phillips <nwp@nz.lemon-computing.com>
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2005 at 01:30:33AM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:

>> We already distibute several peer-to-peer filesharing
>> implementations whose major real-life use is to distribute
>> unlicensed copies of musical and cinematographic works. However,
>> the software itself is not illegal to maintain or distribute
>> because some legitimate uses have been cooked up.

> Those legitimate uses were not "cooked up"; they were there from the
> get-go, and were always intended.

I'm sure it was intended even from the get-go that there would be
legitimate uses beside the main one.

> Even if you do believe otherwise, I think it is rather irresponsible
> of you to say so in this forum.

Irresponsible, how so? Everybody knows this, and even somebody who
might hypothetically be depending on plausible deniability have
certainly been told otherwise innumerable times and more directly than
I'm doing here. If they still consider denial plausible, what I say or
don't say on a public mailing list without any material evidence to
back it is not going to make it appreciably less plausible.

--
Henning Makholm                     "That's okay. I'm hoping to convince the
                      millions of open-minded people like Hrunkner Unnerby."