Re: why is graphviz package non-free?

Scripsit Raul Miller <moth@debian.org>
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 09:18:21PM +0000, Henning Makholm wrote:

>> To make what I fear explicit, here is a fleshed-out scenario:

>>   1. A writes a program and releases it under the current CPL.
>>   2. B takes A's program, hacks on it, distributes his Contributions
>>      on a website under the current CPL.
>>   3. IBM notices B's modified program and decides that they would like
>>      to include it in their proprietary program suite for frobitzing
>>      foobars, with private modifications that they don't release
>>      source for. So,
>>   4. IBM releases new version of CPL which gives IBM carte blanche to
>>      do anything at all with covered code.
>>   5. C (a strawman for IBM) picks up B's modified program, makes some
>>      inconsequential little changes and releases it under the new
>>      amended CPL - as allowed by the original CPL under which B
>>      distributed his changes.
>>   6. IBM picks up C's distribution and starts abusing B's contribution
>>      proprietarily.

> The same thing is possible with the GPL, with it's "any later version"
> clause.

No - the GPL would allow B to distribute his hacked code under "GPL,
version 2 only" if he wants to prevent this.

> For that matter, the same thing is possible with the BSD license,
> because it makes no attempt to provide copyleft protection.

No - the BSD license would allow B to distribute his hacked code under
"GPL, version 2 only" if he wants to prevent this.

The CPL does *not* allow B to distrubte his hacked code under "CPL,
version 1 only". In fact, "CPL, version 1 only" is not even a
internally consistent license specification, because CPL
*intrinsically* allows any downstream recipient to switch everything
to any later version published by IBM.

--
Henning Makholm        "Jeg køber intet af Sulla, og selv om uordenen griber
                    planmæssigt om sig, så er vi endnu ikke nået dertil hvor