Re: Drawings similar to well known products. Copyright problems?

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 06:51:32PM -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> Aurelien Jarno <aurelien@aurel32.net> writes:
>
> > I should admit that I don't know anything about such copyright law,
> > however I think that as long it is just a drawing without any
> > copyrighted logo, it's not a problem.
>
> A quick look over these pictures suggests no *copyright* problems.
> They look like independent creations of some artist, not derived from
> the works of Duracell, Bic, or whoever first drew a yellow smiley face.
Nice to hear that.

> There may be trademark problems.  For example, Duracell may have a
> consider the orange-and-black battery to be trade dress; my
> understanding of trademark law is quite limited, but I don't think it
> applies to pictures of the trade dress in a different form.
Ok, further investigation should be done on that.

> I wouldn't be horribly surprised if the names "hummer" or "rubik" are
> trademarks of the companies using them.  I'm not sure what action to
> take based on that surmise, though.
For hummer, it's seems easy to change the name, something like 4WD car
can go there. For Rubik it is a little more difficult to find another
work, and I am almost sure this word is used somewhere in Debian.

Aurelien

--
  .''`.  Aurelien Jarno	              GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
 : :' :  Debian GNU/Linux developer | Electrical Engineer