Re: phpldapadmin 0.9.5, is it free?

On ср, 2005-01-05 at 23:25 +0100, Andreas Barth wrote:
> * Fabio Tranchitella (kobold@kobold.it) [050105 20:50]:
> > Here there is the text grabbed from that page:
> >
> > """
> > While phpLDAPadmin costs 49.95 for commercial download, we are providing
> > it for free to home users. If you purchase the commercial download, you
> > get the added benefit of support from the original developers.
> > """
>
> As far as I know, sourceforges policy is to host only software free for
> everybody. Though their policy is not the same as ours, I think this
> violates even their policy.

 Why would this be a violation? Everyone can sell free software. (not
freeware, but free/open source software)
 Here is what is said on http://www.phpldapadmin.com/faq.php:

[...]
Q. Is phpLDAPadmin Open Source?
A. Yes. It is licensed to you under the GNU General Public License. This
is very good news for phpLDAPadmin users.
[...]
Q. Can you really charge for phpLDAPadmin? Isn't it Open Source
software?
A. Yes and yes. The GPL specifically allows sellers to charge for the
service of distributing and/or supporting users of GPL-licensed
software. Here is an article that may help with this question:
[...]

 So it's obviout to me that the author distributes the code with license
and this license if free (GPL).
 In fact, if someone forbids comercial use or charging for support etc.,
then the program would be non-free for Debian.

P.S.: Anyway, I would recommend contacting the author... just to be sure
everything is ok :) It's no big deal, the guy might be even pleased by
the interest in his code :P

--
 http://projectoria.org  |  http://fsa-bg.org \