Re: mozilla thunderbird trademark restrictions / still dfsg free ?

"mozilla _wants_ us to make some changes to the thunderbird package in order to
not infringe their trademarks."

I think plenty of dialog with Mozilla is a good idea.  If they don't like the
way we package Thunderbird or any of the other packages, I recommend using
really generic names for each of the packages, then refer to the Mozilla
names in the descriptions, such as:

Debian Web browser based on Mozilla Firefox
Debian Email client based on Mozilla Thunderbird
Debian browser suite based on Mozilla

or something similar that makes them happy and still makes things like
package searches contain a searchable string that people can recognize.

I have a hard time believing that after all this time they want people
to get away from their names, but if that's really what they want, let's
do it.  But let's not make up any new funky names.  That just opens up
the possibility of other issues elsewhere.  If we must change the name
at all, let's associate it with our project and a generic term describing
the application.  Can that get us into any trouble?  Hopefully not.

--
Brian Masinick
mailto:masinick@yahoo.com