Re: Trademarks: what is the line?

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 13:56:45 +0100 Florian Weimer wrote:

> They are not entirely unrelated.  The DFSG explicitly mentions
> mandatory renaming clauses in licenses, and deems them to be
> DFSG-free.

Yes, but is requiring a global replacing of trademarked strings and
images acceptable?

I mean: it seems that Mozilla is requiring us

* either to comply with strict modification constraints

* or to replace every and each trademarked reference to the work with
something else

First option seems unacceptable (we couldn't even patch for security
reasons before they decide to release a new version, correct me if I'm
wrong).

Second option would require the Debian package maintainer to dig into
the source and play "seek & destroy" with all cases in which the work is
referenced as "Mozilla {thunderbird|firefox}" or in which the official
logo is used...
This seems a bit more than requiring a name change (per DFSG 4).

> The Mozilla trademark license seems to be rather harmless
> at that because they give permission to retain the command names.

>From the followups to your message, it seems that this is not the
case...  :-(

P.S.: please do not Cc: or To: me, as I'm a debian-legal subscriber and
I didn't ask to be Cc:ed, nor set a Mail-Followup-To:...   TIA   :)

--
          Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4