Re: DFSG compilance of display-dhammapada

On Wed, Dec 21, 2005 at 04:30:50PM +0100, Jakub Nadolny wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there is a package called display-dhammapada which includes some text in
> Polish language. This text is licensed as follows:
>
> "This publication is not protected by copyright. One can freely copy it
> and use any of it's parts mentioning the source. Publishers ask only for
> information about it." (sorry if my english is not clear enough)
>
> I know this publisher and I can ask them to change this license if it
> is neccessary to do it. Should it be changed to be DFSG compilant?
This phrase came up previously:
  http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/03/msg00384.html (same package)

I don't know what the last phrase is meant to mean "publishers ask
only for information about it".

I agree with MJR's assessment that it is probably intended to
discriminate against publishers.

Poli also has a point; no permission to modify (except for the claim
of no copyright):

It would be good to contact the publisher, to ask for clarification.
If it turns out that the license (or lack thereof) lacks freedoms
required for inclusion into Debian, then you might discuss an
alternate license with them (hopefully something which is already
translated into English!).

--
Clear skies,
Justin