Re: dual licensing (was: Re: [no subject])

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 04:08:01PM -0500, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> I don't know what you mean by "determine sourcecode", but I can take
> my program, release it under the GPL and not release source if I want.
> (Nobody else could redistribute it, so it'd be a silly thing to do,
> but I could do it.)

I disagree.

By licensing software under the GPL, the author has made a written offer to
provide the source code, and if they later refuse to provide the source code,
it's quite conceivable that a lawyer could force them to in court.

After all, a license is a form of a contract, and the GPL grants rights to the
source code, so it's pretty clear to even a layman.

If you want a more definite answer, email Eben Moglen <moglen@columbia.edu>

--

Diversity is the Fuel of Evolution,
 Conformity its Starvation.