Re: MySQL only useable for GPL clients?

On 10/13/05, Alexander Terekhov <alexander.terekhov@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/11/05, Martin Koegler <mkoegler@auto.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> [...]
> > At http://dev.mysql.com/doc/internals/en/licensing-notice.html
>
> Under the laws of the GNU Republic (MySQL district), all works are "derived"
> (in metaphysical sense) from some other preexisting GPL'd work(s) and hence
> fall under the GPL right from the beginning...

And crack cocaine is free, rainbows are always in the air, and there
is peace in the middle east.  I just read that licensing provision.
Whomever wrote that was high.

By the logic they've presented, they're breaking the GPL by offering a
non-GPL license version of MySQL that will install and run on a Linux
operating system.  The Linux OS is GPL software, therefore if MySQL is
able to talk to that software using the GPL licensed methods and
syscalls that Linux provides, it is a derived work of Linux and must
also fall under the GPL.  Installations using GPL MySQL code may
continue to do so, but any installations using the "commercial"
license must cease using the software and uninstall it.

They're all on crack. :-P

--
Chris

"`The enemy we fight has no respect for human life or human rights.
They don't deserve our sympathy,' he said. `But this isn't about who
they are. This is about who we are. These are the values that
distinguish us from our enemies.' - Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona