Re: Logo rip-off

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:17:01PM +0200, Amaya wrote:
> h01ger wrote:
> > The logo still looks like the debian swirl in blue plus some rotation
> > to me...

> /me wonders...
> Isn't the Debian swirl logo just a very basic Adobe Illustrator
> template? How are we going to enforce anything?

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/06/msg00340.html
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/06/png00000.png

A work doesn't cease to be copyright-protected just because someone is able
to document a process by which it can be reproduced.  I don't know the
Illustrator tools very well, but it seems rather unlikely to me that, even
given the starting point of a standard brush shape, someone else would have
independently created a swirl using the same brush stroke that has just the
right amount of curvature and curves starting at just the right point.  It's
quite a bit more likely that the logo *was* copied, which means copyright
infringement.

Trademark protection is a separate question entirely; I don't see that
there's much grounds for claiming trademark infringement here.