Re: Legal status of short, perhaps uncopyrightable program (fwd)

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 09:12:37AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> Asheesh Laroia <asheesh@asheesh.org> wrote:

>> There are some murmurings on the Web (e.g.,
>> http://www.spatula.net/software/sex/ ,
>> http://packages.gentoo.org/ebuilds/?sex-1.0 ) from people who believe that it
>> is BSD-licensed, but in truth I have been able to find no license.

> http://www.spatula.net/software/sex/ says "Original author unknown.
> Presumably this is public domain by now." Anyone know why they
> presume that?

Clueless. It certainly isn't public domain. The author, whomever it
is, is most probably not dead for 70 years; the programming language
this is written in (whatever it is! (except maybe the one used by Ada
Lovelace...)) didn't exist back then.

--
Lionel