Re: New BitTorrent License Preview

"Jacobo Tarrio" <jtarrio@trasno.net> wrote in message [🔎] 20051004204730.GA4455@trasno.net">news:[🔎] 20051004204730.GA4455@trasno.net...

From 4.g.: "For the avoidance of doubt, to the extent your executable
version of a Licensed Product does not contain your or another Contributor?s
material Modifications or is otherwise not a material Derivative Work, in
each case as contemplated herein, you may not sell, license or sublicense
for a fee, accept donations or otherwise receive compensation for such
executable."

Does this mean that I cannot sell it unless I or anyone else in the world
has modified it? Isn't that stipulation a bit stupid?

I read this as saying you may not sell etc. the original work unless it contains some modifications.
Any modification is acceptable, be it by you or any other party.

Moreover: "Additionally, without limitation of the foregoing and
notwithstanding any provision of this License to the contrary, you cannot
charge for, sell, license or sublicense for a fee, accept donations or
otherwise receive compensation for the Source Code."

This would mean, if a product covered under this license were included in
Debian, that nobody would then be allowed to sell Debian source CDs. That
would be a case of this product's license contaminating other software,
which is forbidden by DFSG#9, so this clause makes the license non-free.

The clause basically says that you may not charge for the source CDs, however
AFAICT, this does not prevent you from charging for Binary CDs. It has the
effect of saying that you must not charge anything for the source alone,
but you may charge for the source in conjunction with the binary. This can be avoided by doing what is a good idea anyway: Always include the source CDs with debian binary cds,
and don't sell the source cds seperate.