Re: migration of wiki material: suggested licence and legal issues

On Sat, 01 Oct 2005, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Sep 2005 12:48:47 +0100 Jon Dowland wrote:
> > The old wiki's copyright statement[1] suggests that ownership is
> > held by the respective authors, and grants "Fair Use"
> > reproduction.
>
> I don't think a whole data-dump could be seen as "Fair Use",

In this particular case, we're really only worried about the fair use
rules within the jurisdiction that wiki.debian.org resides in (at
least as far as migration goes.)

> * Consequently, its source code should be (easily) available for
> download

It would actually just be better to expose the actual on disk storage
that moin-moin uses (whatever that is) for rsync or similar. [This
will probably have to happen via a mirror, since spohr is restricted.]

> * An appropriate license should be chosen for wiki contributions
> (more on this later)

I would suggest instead having contributors specifically indicate a
default license for any works that they contribute out of a select set
of licences. [Probably GPL, MIT, or GPL+MIT]

> * Each copyright holder for material in the old wiki, should be
> contacted and asked to agree to the relicensing *before* the
> corresponding material is migrated to the new wiki.

I disagree with this, simply because it will require far too much
effort to track down every single contributor and ask them to license
their works appropriately. Far better to migrate the information and
to have a tag (or something) on each page that indicates what license
the material on the page is under based on the contributor who
contributed it.

At some future date, we can go back through and identify pages which
haven't been correctly tagged by their contributors and either remove
them or reimplement them as the case may be.

> Now my suggestions for the license choice:
>
> Expat (a.k.a. MIT) http://www.jclark.com/xml/copying.txt

> The only recommended one is the GNU GPL (v2)

That's pretty much my recomendation as well. [The only two licenses I
recommend are the GPL or MIT...]

Don Armstrong

--
UF: What's your favourite coffee blend?
PD: Dark Crude with heavy water. You are understandink? "If geiger