Re: Opinion on avoiding Copyright and Trademark infringement.

On Tue, 2005-09-27 at 14:05 -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
> On 9/27/05, James Damour <JDAMOUR@nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > The problem lies in the realm of Copyright and Trademark.
>
> I'd be tempted to use "mecha" instead of "mech".  Mecha
> has a strongly established generic use tradition.

I was leaning more towards "bot" as in "MegaBot", "Bot Pilot", and
"MiniBot".  I considered using "mecha", and I recognize that it is a
generic term used alone, but used in combination with "proto" or
"warrior" I expect that it is still actionable.  Perhaps a judge will
determine that it is sufficiently different to avoid infringing the
trademark, but I'd rather avoid triggering the suit altogether.  I
believe that "bot" is far safer (it also has a longer pedigree, with a
wider recognition).

Still, thanks for the advice!