General Copyright Questions

Greetings everyone

I was talking about copyright details with a friend of mine a few
minutes ago and he presented me the following scenario:
Amazon has millions of book covers in their database, most of them
having been scanned by themselves. Do they have any kind of rights over
those scans (assuming that they have permission from the original
authors)? If someone were to open a shop and wanted to use Amazon's the
product images, would they require Amazon's permission to do so? How
about product descriptions?

My first guess would be that yes, Amazon should have rights over those
specific scans while the product descriptions would be copyrighted by
their original authors. Would anyone be willing to shed some light into
this issue?

Sincerely,
João Pinheiro