Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Sun, Sep 18, 2005 at 10:28:23PM +0200, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > I fully understand that _may_ and _shall_ are different terms however,
> > and I will check on this, but I am pretty sure _may_ in this instance
> > is indicating _required._  Again I need to confer with someone to see
> > if licensing agreements fall outside of these specialized rules, but I
> > don_t think they strictly do.

> > In conclusion it seems that just because a venue/forum selection
> > clause exists does not in-and-of-itself mean that it will hold up in
> > court.

> But it could hold up, couldn't it?
> If this is the case, we must stay on the safe side and assume it will...

Bearing in mind also that people don't generally put clauses in their
licenses which they believe *can't* be used to their advantage.  Surely, the
best test of whether the choice of venue clause is inert is whether the
copyright holder is willing to drop the clause.