Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> wrote:

> Whether the lawsuit is frivolous or not is totally irrelevant.  What
> is relevant is that the user is required to give up a legal protection
> he normally has -- for no better reason than the convenience of the
> copyright holder to sue users.  The cost is particularly aggravated by
> the fact that we have already seen frivolous claims on the part of
> copyright owners.

We've seen frivolous suits against software alleging patent
infringement. Since the only way we can protect our users from these is
to stop distributing software, should we do so?

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org