Re: CDDL, OpenSolaris, Choice-of-venue and the star package ...

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 04:51:31PM -0400, David Nusinow wrote:
> I'd simply advocate that we stop distributing material copyrighted by
> citizens of Kraplakistan[1]. I don't think we should use the DFSG to try
> and change legal systems. As many others on this list have said in the past
> as well, we can't deal with countries with overly restrictive laws.
>
> Let's liken individual licenses to countries. We can refuse to distribute
> software bearing an individual license the same way we can refuse to
> distribute software from Kraplakistan. If both restrict the guaranteed
> freedoms, this is what we should do.

I'm likening COV clauses to copyright protection.  They are both things that
protect the copyright holder.  People are saying that because COV is open to
abuse, that makes it non-free.  But copyright is also open to abuse, so the
same arguments that are being applied to COV could be applied to copyright
in general.

> [1] Great name by the way :-)

Stolen from Austin Powers, I always did find that name amusing.

--Adam