Re: legal status of faac, xvid

On Thu, 08 Sep 2005, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> The MPEG-LA claims to hold all the patents applicable to MPEG, and
> that all these patents are valid, but since it's impossible for them
> to know either of these things they are obviously lying.

They don't claim to do this at all.[1] All they say is that they can
license this set of patents on behalf of the patent holders which they
feel are essential for MPEG-4, that they're trying to "provide
worldwide access to as much MPEG-4 Visual essential intellectual
property as possible; new Licensors and essential patents may be added
at no additional royalty during the current term"[2]

Indeed, they don't even hold the patents *at all*.

> It's never been seriously tested in court.

What's to test? It's just method of licensing a slew of patents.

Don Armstrong

1: Or at the very least I've never seen this claim in any
communication; I haven't bothered to request a copy of the license
agreement though.

2: http://www.mpegla.com/m4v/
--
It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be wrong
 -- Chris Torek