Re: LGPL module linked with a GPL lib

        Hi,

 I agree with most of what you said, except I'd like clarification on
 this part:

On Sun, Jul 24, 2005, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> The copyright of the rest of GStreamer depends on how it's distributed.
> In Debian, it's clear that GStreamer is distributed with MAD support,
> which makes its effective license the GPL.  However, someone interested
> in distributing proprietary plugins or apps for GStreamer (as part of a
> derivative, for example) could do so by removing the GPL plugins from
> the distribution before adding the non-free bits.  This wouldn't even
> require a recompile to do.

 GStreamer's build process builds separate binaries for the various
 plugins, these are then dlopened when requested.

 I would personnally think that installing only Debian's GStreamer
 packages that are linked to LGPL libraries doesn't make your GStreamer
 installation / packages GPL (that is the build process has nothing to
 do with the resulting packages).

 I would even thing that installing GStreamer plugins packages which
 link to GPL libraries don't make your installation nor your running
 GStreamer applications GPL (that is only dlopening() something GPL
 makes the whole program in memory GPL, while it remains in memory).

 Is that correct?

   Bye,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>