Re: Question about license compatibility

On Saturday 23 July 2005 08:04 pm, Jeff Licquia wrote:
> On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 17:11 -0700, Sean Kellogg wrote:
> > This is a difficult situation that is worth commentary.  Assume for a
> > moment that the U.S. has some strict export restriction.  As a U.S.
> > citizen I am bound by those laws and cannot legally violate them.
> > Further, if I am to distribute software it is entirely possible that the
> > law prohibits me from distributing that software to citizens of certain
> > nations and to ensure those who receive copies do the same.
> >
> > This means I have have a responsibility to ensure others don't distribute
> > and cause me to break the law.  The only tool by which I have to do that
> > is the license.
>
> Is this really true?

Sorry if I didn't make it clear that I am very much talking about
hypothetical.  I know that with embargoes American citizens have certain
responsibilities to ensure the goods the ship internationally do not end up
in the hands of certain nations.  I can't say this applies to software, or if
such an embargo is even going on (outside of our long standing Cuban
embargo).

My interest, I guess, is whether the DFSG will forbid a developer from having
their code distributed if they live in a country with restrictive export
laws?

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown