Re: generated source files, GPL and DFSG

On Fri, 22 Jul 2005 18:09:56 -0400 Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Fri, Jul 22, 2005 at 11:47:09PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
[...]
> > I think it's not acceptable to yse pregenerated files to prevent
> > software from entering contrib.  (Look at all the Java programs, for
> > instance.)  If there's a povray dependency, the software cannot be
> > included in main.
>
> If you mean "images generated from povray are non-free because they
> can't be built from source without a non-free component", I'd have to
> disagree on the grounds that the conclusion is so patently absurd, the
> premises must be flawed (whether or not I'm able to pinpoint that
> flaw).

I don't think Florian meant that povray-generated images are non-free.
I think he said that they are not eligible for inclusion in main and
belong in contrib (as long as they are under a free license and are
provided with source).

> Looking at it more closely, nothing in DFSG#2 requires that the source
> be usable; only that it be source.  That is, if the source to a
> program is written in an expensive, proprietary language, it's still
> source, and satisfies DFSG#2.  That doesn't mean Debian has to accept
> it; meeting the DFSG is a prerequisite, but not a guarantee of
> inclusion, and Debian is free to refuse to include software for other
> reasons (such as "we can't build this source").  I just can't agree
> that a freely-licensed work, with source (such as an image with povray
> source) can be accurately branded non-free because the tools to build
> that source are non-free.

I agree with you, but suspect that Florian agrees too!  ;-)

P.S.: Florian, could you confirm or otherwise correct me?
      Rest assured it's not my intention to put words in your mouth, I
      simply noticed what I believe is a misunderstanding between you
      and Glenn, and wanted to point it out...

--
    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4