Re: Public Domain and Packaging

On Monday 18 July 2005 11:07 am, Brian M. Carlson wrote:
> What we *don't* want, is software that is copyrighted (which PD software
> isn't) and then without a license, because that gives us almost no
> rights whatsoever.

There is no such thing as software that isn't copyrighted.  All original
expression that is fixed in a tangible form is immediately copyrighted (at
least, that's the U.S. rule).  There is still lots of debate as to whether it
is possible to disclaim that copyright...  but there is no question that it
is, at the moment of creation, copyrighted.

Mr. Crowther is better off accepting he has a copyright and simply attaching a
COPYING file that says "I grant anyone and everyone an irrevocable license to
copy, modify, distribute, perform, display, or engage in anyother act
requiring my permission with this software."  Yes, there are a host of legal
questions with that as well, but it gets us way closer to the pale than
attempts to disclaim the copyright.

-Sean

--
Sean Kellogg
3rd Year - University of Washington School of Law

So, let go
 ...Jump in
  ...Oh well, what you waiting for?
   ...it's all right
    ...'Cause there's beauty in the breakdown