Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

On 7/13/05, Pedro A.D.Rezende <prezende@unb.br> wrote:
> How do you classify your knowledge that some of them smoke crack?

Hyperbolic (and obviously non-literal) ridicule, not of the persons
involved but of the premise (wholly unfounded in law and legal
history) that the GPL is a creature of anything other than contract
law.  But you are quite right that I shouldn't be using that phrase
even as a reference to previous debian-legal posts (which is what I
intended in that postscript), not because any reasonable person would
mistake it for an accusation of drug use, but because a couple of
people (Bernard Link and Raul Miller, IIRC;
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/06/msg00208.html ) said it
made them uncomfortable.  I don't wish for my language (as opposed to
what I have to say) to make people uncomfortable.

Pity, though; the other Google results for "crack-smoking GPL" are
hilarious.  "crack-smoking Linus Torvalds" is even better.

Cheers,
- Michael