Re: MP3 decoder packaged with XMMS

On 7/12/05, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 12, 2005 at 05:34:45PM -0700, Michael K. Edwards wrote:
> > If I were you I would be very, very cautious about inviting the SFLC
> > to hang its first test case on my project.  I speak as someone with no
> > legal qualifications but with a certain amount of research under my
> > belt, including an eventually successful (after repeated office
> > actions) patent filing (whose economic rights I do not now own) that
> > certain uses of software in Debian probably infringes.  IANAL, TINLA,
> > YMMV.
>
> So we're supposed to take the word of a self-professed collaborator with the
> current illegitimate patent regime, over the word of someone who works for
> an organization dedicated to fighting this threat to intellectual freedom?
>
> Why would we do that?

Because the "current illegitmate patent regime" is the law.  Failure
to comply with the law can (and does) lead to negative consequences
for the person not in compliance.

--
Chris

"With the way things are starting to go in this country, if forced to
choose between being caught with a van full of pirated DVDs or heroin
you'd actually have to pause and think about it." -- Michael Bell,
drunkenblog.com