Re: qlogic firmware license

Andres Salomon wrote:
> > 	USER ACKNOWLEDGES AND AGREES THAT USE OF THIS PROGRAM WILL NOT
> > 	CREATE OR GIVE GROUNDS FOR A LICENSE BY IMPLICATION, ESTOPPEL, OR
> > 	OTHERWISE IN ANY INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS (PATENT, COPYRIGHT,
> > 	TRADE SECRET, MASK WORK, OR OTHER PROPRIETARY RIGHT) EMBODIED IN ANY
> > 	OTHER QLOGIC HARDWARE OR SOFTWARE EITHER SOLELY OR IN COMBINATION
> > 	WITH THIS PROGRAM
>
> Anyone want to clarify the last bit for me?  They want to ensure that the
> use of the firmware image does not give anyone permission to do something
> like reverse engineer qlogic hardware or something?

This may have been written by a lawyer who heard something
about "viral licenses".

Perhaps they just wanted to make sure that the license applies
only to this particular code and nothing else. I thought that
was the default, but I guess under US law you never know.

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch patent attorney - Speaking only for myself