Re: Alternatives to the Affero General Public License

I've trimmed a bunch of stuff, trying to leave only the real sticking points. Basically, I believe the task requires restriction of use, not just distribution, and Debian should never accept it, so you may just want to ignore me if you think use restrictions are allowed.

Some things your license should clarify if you think this is necessary:

1) What is a user? Your response to the "Joe's Typesetting" mail is different from what many would assume you meant, and who knows what a court would decide you meant?

2) What restrictions you place on recipients, as opposed to modifiers of code. Say I modify and distribute code in accordance with your requirements, and I sell it to someone who runs it in a datacenter such that only the functional aspects are avaialble, and my mini-http server is blocked? I've followed the license, but don't run a service. They've followed the license (they haven't changed the software, so haven't broken any rules about what it must do), but don't make source available.

3) Spend far more time on use cases and when source distribution is or is not required, rather than trying to come up with technical measures that are incomplete and probably obsolescent.

A few more line-by-line questions are below, but they're more comments than questions, and perhaps not productive to pursue further.