Re: GFDL redux, all over again, yet another time

Raul Miller wrote:

> While looking up laws this morning, to answer a question someone asked
> about the GFDL, I noticed something:  17 USC 1201 grants the copyright
> holder the right to authorize that technological measures be bypassed.
>
> The current GFDL trys to prevent any distribution of GFDLed documents
> where technological measures may restrict access to the work.  In part,
> this is probably because anyone can apply such technological measures,
> without needing authorization from the copyright holder.
>
> Anyways, for debian's purposes authorization to bypass does us a lot
> more good than denying license to those who use measures.
>
> [1] Authorization doesn't run afould of the DFSG.
>
> [2] Authorization makes legit cracking software of any DRM code
> used to publish the work.

Good idea.

On that topic, a well-drafted DRM prohibition clause was supplied by
Johnathan Mitchell QC in the draft of the Scotland Creative Commons
license:

You may not impose any terms or any technological measures on the Work, the
Derivative Work or the Work incorporated in a Collective Work that alter or
restrict the terms of this Licence or any rights granted under it or have
the effect or intent of restricting the ability of any person to exercise
those rights;

An adaptation of that should do the trick, eh?

--
This space intentionally left blank.