Re: modification of zlib/libpng license, is this legally usable?

On Wed, Apr 27, 2005 at 07:35:56PM +0200, Anders Bergh wrote:
> I've modified the zlib/libpng license to be a bit more restrictive for
> commercial usage.. I would like to get some feedback,

It's not free.

> and I also wonder if
> it's legally "usable".

We can sometimes tell you why a license isn't viable. We can never
tell you that it *is*. You have to hire a lawyer to do that.

> For commercial usage these restrictions applies aswell:
>
>    4. You must have written permission by the respective copyright holders
>       for using this software.

This really means "this license is for non-commercial use only. ask us
about commercial licenses". Therefore, non-free.

"Written permission" *is* the license; this document has just said
that it is not such a license.

>    5. The usage of this software must be acknowledged somewhere easily
>       accessible for the end user, such as the about box or product
>       documentation.

Vague. What's 'usage', 'accessible', and 'end user'? Not that it matters, given #4.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |