Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 01:18:11PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
> 	Well that's the problem. While copyright law does permit you to restrict
> the right to create derivative works, it doesn't permit you to restrict the
> distribution of lawfully created derivative works to licensees of the
> original work. As far as I know, no law has ever granted this right to
> copyright holders and no court has ever recognized this right. And I've
> looked. Courts have specifically recognized the absence of this right.

The GPL is very clear in its implementation: it grants wider permission
to create derivative works than to distribute them, implementing its
"virality" in terms of restrictions on distribution, not creation.  So,
it seems that you're claiming that the GPL is broken or unenforcable in
some aspects.  (If you're not, I'd like to know where I'm confused.)

If that's the case, it's a claim I'm not qualified to debate, but would
be interested in hearing the FSF's response.

--
Glenn Maynard