Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 09:44:59 -0300 Humberto Massa wrote:

> Sven Luther wrote:
> >  patents are problematic, and upto recently there where no software
> >  patents in europe, so i don't really care. I am not sure about the
> AFAIK software patents are still not effective in Europe (as in you
> cannot sue anyone for them yet, even if you can register some). Can
> anyone from EU confirm this?

On 7 March 2005, the European Council Presidency (Luxembourg) sadly
adopted the software patent "agreement" of 18 May 2004.
In order to do so, the Presidency violated the Council own rules.

This basically means that the text will go back to the European
Parliament for a second reading in which there are few possibilities to
reject it (if I recall correctly, a qualified majority is needed).

However, the directive is still to be approved by the Parliament *and*
then implemented in Eureopean Union member states.
Consequently, if I understand correctly, software patents are still
unenforceable in EU.

P.S.: we must do something to avoid this disaster! please, help!

    :-(   This Universe is buggy! Where's the Creator's BTS?   ;-)
  Francesco Poli                             GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4
 Key fingerprint = C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12  31B5 78F4 279B DD6D FCF4