Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 04:20:50PM -0700, David Schwartz wrote:
>	It's also there because the GPL can only apply to either works
> placed under it by their authors and works that are legally classified
> as derivative. If you merely aggregate two works, there is no
> derivation. The GPL is making clear that it's not trying to exceed the
> scope of its authority (which is copyright law).

The issue of whether or not the combined work is a derivative under
copyright law is a copyright law issue.  The GPL does concern itself
with that issue, but not in the "mere aggregation" clause.

The "mere aggregation" clause holds regardless of whether or not the
combined work is a derivative under copyright law.

[P.S. I've set the Reply-To: header on this message because I think this
thread has drifted away from kernel issues.]

--
Raul