Re: non-free firmware in kernel modules, aggregation and unclear copyright notice.

Adrian Bunk <bunk@stusta.de> wrote:

(-project added to the Cc:, non-debian related lists removed)

> No documentation for the C compiler (not even a documentation of the
> options) will be neither fun for the users of Debian nor for the Debian
> maintainers - but it's the future of Debian...
>
> The Debian Social Contract says:
>   Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software
>
> The next "editorial changes" to your social contract might remove the
> "Our Users and"...

Jesus. With hindsight, describing the social contract changes as
"editorial changes" was clearly massively less than idea. But developers
have had the opportunity to revert that change since then and didn't do
so - and even now, any developer has the opportunity to put forward a
general resolution that would change this.

If you believe that the DFSG should not apply to everything in main,
then propose a general resolution to change it. The consitution gives
people this ability in order to allow them to fix mistakes that have
occured in the past. If you think the project's current attitude is
wrong, then do something about it. Complaining without actually *doing*
anything doesn't help anyone.

--
Matthew Garrett | mjg59-chiark.mail.debian.legal@srcf.ucam.org