Re: Draft summary of Creative Commons 2.0 licenses (version 3)

On Sun, Apr 03, 2005 at 09:22:32PM -0400, Benj. Mako Hill wrote:
> > > What extra data do you need?
> >
> > So far we've had apparently-expert opinions in both directions
> > about how this situation would be viewed by courts. I feel I
> > need some reason to value a particular expert above others. It
> > may be that I've missed some relevant post in the volume.
> >
> > Then again, that's unnecessary work if CC follow WCAG better.
>
> We can ask SPI's lawyer for an opinion if you think that would help.

Given the international nature of this stuff, you'd need a whole herd
of lawyers to come to any practical conclusion. I doubt SPI's lawyer
would be much help with the mismatched mess of contract and licensing
laws in the EU countries, for example (the EU has made some efforts to
harmonise them, but it's a mammoth task and will likely take decades
to complete, assuming it can be done at all; existing directives are
mostly fairly vague statements of principles).

I would not be at all surprised to discover that the answer is "yes"
in some of them, "no" in some of them, and "unpredictable" in some of
them, for most questions on this topic.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |