Re: Linux and GPLv2

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 07:45:24AM +0000, Andrew Suffield wrote:
> Fair use is an American perversion. It does not exist in most of the
> rest of the world in anything like the same form. Anything that relies
> on the American notion of "fair use" is non-free, because in the UK
> that means "Non-commercial use only".

Out of curiosity, what is it about fair use that makes you call it a
"perversion"?  It may not be useful to Debian's purposes, but I have
a hard time looking down on things that weaken the strength of IP laws,
even if only by a little.  (Perhaps it causes confusion about "what's
free enough" and all that, but that's the licensor's fault, not the law's.)

--
Glenn Maynard