Re: GPLed firmware flasher ...

On Fri, Mar 11, 2005 at 04:19:00PM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
> If you consider that the first one is correct (*), then the LGPL is just
> a marketing ploy. :-) If you consider the second one as being the
> correct, then the flash-flasher program is banned unless you clarify in
> flasher's license that "I consider one ELF binary as a << volume of
> storage or distribution medium >> in the terms of the last para of the
> section #2 of the GPL" (yes, you can do that if you are the copyright
> holder).

Or unless the context makes it clear, as said it is common practice to have
firmware shipped inside the flash program binary, and at the low level
considered, the eld binary is indeed a distribution medium. Even if you look
at the actual aim of the whole thing, the flash program is only there to do
the last part of the distribution of the firmware, namely making sure the
firmware makes it to your board.

Friendly,

Sven Luther