Re: CC-BY : "clarification letter" ?

Daniel Carrera <dcarrera@math.umd.edu> wrote:
> The letter could just clarify that (1) the author names don't have to
> be prominent,

That would probably work.

> (2) the license does not interfere with fair-use rights
> (e.g. quoting you on a bibliography)

Is this trying to reverse the author name purge condition? I'm not
sure that appealing to fair use covers it.

> and (3) CC is not a party to the license.

Is this about the trademark bit? As it's not part of the
licence, *you* can just delete that part and not include it
in the licence for your original work. No need for a letter.

The problem is when upstream authors include it, like svnbook.
Then it doesn't matter what you say, the trademark terms have
been included in the licence and I don't think you can cut them.
You just gamble that no court is going to take it as an addition
to the licence. That's why it would be good for CC to make it clear.

--
MJR/slef
Subscribed to this list. No need to Cc, thanks.