Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> > Matthew Garrett <mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> >> But how do you argue that a hand-crafted binary is sufficiently
> >> modifiable without also admitting the possibility that the output
> >> of a C compiler may be sufficiently modifiable?
> > I think it depends what the upstream author is using as source.
> > How about you?
> Why does it depend on what the upstream author is using as source?

I don't see how we can obtain source codes which never existed,
so that seems like one bound.

> How does that affect the recipient's ability to modify the work?

That's a different question: if a recipient is incapable of
modifying the work, does it mean that they do not have the
freedom to modify it? I say they have freedom but are incapable
of exploiting it.

I rephrase: how can you argue that a hand-crafted binary is not
sufficiently modifiable to offer the freedom to study and adapt?

--
MJR/slef
Subscribed to this list. No need to Cc, thanks.