Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 10:05:38PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:

> Well, I'm a bit surprised, here.
> You were the proposal A proposer in GR 2004-004 and the rationale seems
> to state that your understanding of both versions of the Social Contract
> (the one previous GR 2004-003 and the new one as amended by GR 2004-003
> itself) implies that DFSG apply to everything we distribute in main, not
> only programs.
> See http://www.debian.org/vote/2004/vote_004

> Now you seem to claim that DFSG#2 does not apply to non-programs,
> because its explanation says "program".

Yes.  These two concepts are not in contradiction.

> Are you implying that a 2-clause-BSD licensed manual can be distributed
> in main in PDF format, if the LaTeX source (preferred by upstream for
> making modifications to it) is kept secret and not available?

I think it's sucky and we're better off distributing the LaTeX source as
well if we can get access to it, but I'm not convinced that this should be a
release-critical bug.  I simply do not believe that LaTeX -> PDF conversion
constitutes a technical barrier to modification to the same degree as
compilation of C/C++/Java source to native assembly/bytecode, because the
amount of higher-level markup information that's lost differs by an order of
magnitude.  You can take a PDF and usefully extract the entire text back out
of it (even if people set cheesy "no copy" flags in their PDFs, thanks to
non-crippled readers), and all that's missing is the typesetting markup; but
decompiling a binary gives you none of the text of the original higher-level
source.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer