Re: Let's stop feeding the NVidia cuckoo

On Sat, Feb 26, 2005 at 07:06:11PM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 00:58:37 +1100 Daniel Stone wrote:
> > If you want a fully free software experience, may I suggest a video
> > card from one of the few vendors these days who distribute
> > specifications to open source developers?
>
> Yes, please.
>
> I can only cite a work-in-progress project: the Open Graphics project.
> http://wiki.duskglow.com/index.php/Open-Graphics
>
> But if you know of a modern-day video card with
>
> * accelerated 3D capabilities
> * published hardware specs
> * Free BIOS and firmware
> * Free DRI drivers
>
> that is already in stores waiting for my money, then *please* tell us!

You will not find a card anywhere with free BIOS and firmware.  I say
this because the Open Graphics card does not currently exist, and I
will honestly be surprised if they get it up to any decent level of
performance and features; doubly so if they make it worthwhile for
$us200.  But anyway, I digress.

The closest you'll come will probably be an r2xx-class (RADEON 8500,
9[012]00), which has three out of four.