Re: ECW License

On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 05:44:44PM -0500, Steve Halasz wrote:
> I would appreciate a thumbs up or down on the dfsg compliance of the
> attached license before I put time into packaging. I suspect there might
> be issues with these requirements:
>
> iii)    You are not permitted to change the ECW file format.
> iv)     You are not permitted to use Software Product for development or
> distribution of "Server Software" that provides services or
> functionality on a computer acting as a server.

I don't feel up to reading the very badly formatted license text
tonight, but either of those two clauses is very definitely
non-free. If that's what it really says then this is not a free
software license by any reasonable definition.

> And is it ok to link GDAL(MIT license) against this library?

I find it difficult to imagine a scenario where it wasn't okay to link
something MIT-licensed to anything (although you may be prohibited
from modifying the work at all).

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |