Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> writes:

> Måns Rullgård <mru@inprovide.com> wrote:
>> Raul Miller <moth@debian.org> writes:

>> > If the interpreted program and the interpreter can't communicate, then
>> > usually nothing works.  Variable values are unknown, control flow never
>> > happens, and so on.
>>
>> The interpreted program interacts (I don't think "communicate" is the
>> appropriate word) with the virtual machine (in a loose sense of the
>> word) presented by the interpreter.  It does not communicate with the
>> actual implementation.
>
> This does not make any sense.  Of course it communicates with the
> actual implementation.  It does so through the virtual machine.  It
> seems like you are saying that when I send this email, I am not
> interacting with you, but only interacting with the keyboard.

Are you saying that by sending me that email, you are a derivative
work of me?

>> A regular program interacts with the registers, memory and so on
>> found in the machine, not with the individual gates, electrons and
>> whatnot that make up the actual hardware.
>
> So if I write a program that puts things on the display and reads
> keyboard input, that is not interacting with the physical device?

The program is interacting with something like an X server.  Your
program does not know, and should not care, what the X server
implementation is doing.  Most of them happen to draw pixels on a
screen, and read keyboard input, but there are also thing like Xvfb.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com