Re: GPL and Copyright Law (Was: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe)

On Mon, Jan 17, 2005 at 02:24:21AM +0000, Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Can you interpret shell scripts without GNU Bash? Can you interpret
> makefiles without GNU Make? Can you compile C programs without gcc?

gcc has a special exception precisely because the generated binaries
actually *are* derivatives of gcc, most of the time. There are a
variety of reasons for this (it's not just crt).

It would be a stretch to say that shell scripts are derivatives of
bash. There are very few shell scripts which won't run on a variety of
bourne shells; bash has very few features which are not duplicated
elsewhere. On the other hand, something like bash_completion could
quite easily be a derivative of bash. If it was under a
GPL-incompatible license then we probably couldn't distribute it.

Makefiles certainly can be derivatives of GNU make; all you have to do
is write a makefile which relies on a bunch of the rules in the
default database. It is unclear whether the FSF intended this or not.

Realistically I doubt that we're likely to see problems with these
two. People who are sufficiently obnoxious to use GPL-incompatible
licenses usually don't write things that rely on GNU userland to
function.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |