Re: Firefox/Thunderbird trademarks: a proposal

Gervase Markham <gerv@mozilla.org> wrote:
> Here's my attempt at something which hopefully everyone can accept. I've
> tried to take into account all the excellent feedback over the past few
> weeks, for which I thank all involved. Comments are in square brackets.
>
> This assumes that DFSG #8 means that Debian can be given rights over and
> above the rights necessary to make a program free, as long as all the
> rights necessary to make it free are transferable.

This is true, but the package that Debian distributes has to have all
of the necessary freedoms.  With this trademark license, people other
than Debian still can't apply bug fixes etc. and redistribute the
result without undo effort.  In essence, the license has to allow
third parties to make a copy of Debian with their own local patches
to packages.

<snip>
> Is this a runner?

I don't think so.  Sorry.