Re: Computer Associates Trusted Open Source License

On Fri, Jan 14, 2005 at 09:45:59AM -0500, Michael Poole wrote:
> This would be worrying (when CA becomes unreachable), but section 11.3
> addresses that:
>
> > 11.3 If it is impossible for Recipient to comply with any of the terms of this License
> > with respect to some or all of the Program due to statute, judicial order, or
> > regulation, then Recipient must: (a) comply with the terms of this License to the

I don't think CA becoming unreachable falls under "statute, judicial
order, or regulation".  I believe that requiring I contact a third party
in any way is unacceptable, though.

> Waiving the right to a jury trial seems unreasonable, as does the
> explicit expiration time of 1 year (under US law, copyright
> infringement has a 3 year statute of limitations).  Also has choice of
> venue.  It otherwise seems like a fair license (strong copyleft with

Er, yeah, I missed the choice of venue because it's tucked away after
the choice of law, and because Brett said there wasn't one.  (This license
seems to fail the "not so long that you can hide an unabridged dictionary
in a footnote and nobody will notice" test; unfortunately, the GPL does,
too ...)

--
Glenn Maynard