Re: Eclipse 3.0 Running ILLEGALY on Kaffe

Brian Thomas Sniffen <bts@alum.mit.edu> writes:

> "Michael K. Edwards" <m.k.edwards@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> [no longer relevant to debian-java, I think]
>>
>> On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 15:28:57 -0500, Brian Thomas Sniffen
>> <bts@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>  You are ignoring the
>>> creative act performed by the programmer who arranged calls to
>>> functions within libc.  That was creative effort on his part which
>>> critically involves a copy of libc.
>>
>> As is the creation of a critical essay on libc.  But that's not a
>> derivative work either.
>
> But an annotated edition of libc is.  A program seems far more similar
> to an annotated edition than to a critical essay -- since it includes
> a copy of the library, after all, and pointers into it.

Now you stopped making sense.  A program includes only references to a
library, not the library itself.  A distribution, e.g. Debian, might
include both the program and the library.  I don't see a problem with
distributing a collection of programs, where some of them can be
combined in ways that violate some license, as long as all of them
still have legitimate uses.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru@inprovide.com