Re: how to mention GPL in the debian/copyright file

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Henning Makholm wrote:
> Scripsit Jochen Voss <voss@seehuhn.de>
> > Recently Justin Pryzby filed bug #290087 against chbg, claiming
> > that the debian/copyright file should instead contain "the 3
> > paragraphs as found in
> > /usr/share/debhelper/dh_make/native/copyright", which turn out to
> > be
>
> [snip standard GPL blob]
>
> > 1) Is it required to include the above three paragraphs into the
> > debian/copyright file?
>
> What you should include is the exact notice found in the upstream
> source which says that the program is covered by the GPL. As far as
> I can see from a random sample (src/fnmatch.c) from the source
> package, this notice happens to be identical to the blurb you quoted
> from debhelper, but if it had been different, you should add the
> notice actually found in the upstream source.

I actually missed this particular one... fnmatch.c is not copyrighted
by Stefan Ondrejicka either.

Nor is gtkclrbutton.c.

The copyright file needs to include the copyright statements for the
different works that have been included in chbg, since there are at
least 5 copyright holders that I've identified so far. (FSF, Stefan,
Peter, Spencer, and Josh.) [I'm ignoring the auto* stuff, but since
that's owned by the FSF as well, you're probably ok.]

Don Armstrong

--
If it jams, force it. If it breaks, it needed replacing anyway.
 -- Lowery's Law